As many classic movie fans know, the 2017 TCM film fest is going on right now, and while I couldn’t be there this year, I’ve been invited to help out with a fun Canadian trivia project. Pam, a fest friend who’s also staying home this year (you can find her on twitter at @fallonthornley) has gathered tons of Canadian factoids related to the screenings and guests featured at this year’s TCMFF, and we’ve been posting them as twitter quizzes for the last couple days. Meanwhile, our friend Ruth of Silver Screenings is at the fest in person, where she’s giving out Pam’s “Hollywood North” Walter and Norma buttons to people who can answer one of Pam’s questions. See how many of these facts you know (answers are at the end) for one or all of these virtual buttons.
- In the Heat of the Night director, Torontonian Norman Jewison, is also producer of what other festival movie?
What’s Up Doc
2. The Man Who Knew Too Much director Alfred Hitchcock desperately wanted to direct a certain Canadian actress.”Where are the ……….?”.
3. Sidney Poitier’s wife Joanna Shimkus is from what Canadian province?
4. Costume Designer for Some Like it Hot & Jezebel was Orry Kelly. His eulogy was read by which Canadian?
Jack L. Warner
Yvonne De Carlo
5. Requiem for a Heavyweight actor Anthony Quinn’s first wife Katherine was from Vancouver; she was the daughter of which director?
Cecil B. DeMille
6. Dawson City- Frozen Time (2016) is a documentary about lost films found in which Canadian Territory?
Red & White
7. Gene Wilder’s third wife Gilda Radner had a definite Canadian connection. Which is correct?
Mentor to Catherine O’Hara
Dated Martin Short
Member of the Toronto comedy troupe Second City
All of the above
8. Billy Crystal had a song on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1984 with “You Look Mahvelous” which featured which Canadian on keyboards?
9. Which Canadian band Immortalized William Holden & his role in Sunset Boulevard with the song “Floating”?
10. Alec Guinness was a huge fan of what Canadian television series?
Road to Avonlea
11. Jeanette MacDonald in May 1943 made her Grand Opera Debut singing the role of Juliet in “Romeo and Juliet” in what Canadian city?
12. Eugene Joseff’s name can be seen in the credits of many festival movies. His wife Joan was from Alberta. What did he do?
13. Norma Shearer’s brother Douglas had his own career in Hollywood & won 7 Oscars. What department was he known for?
14. Chris Sarandon from Princess Bride is married to Joanna Gleason from Manitoba.What game show host is Chris’ father-in-law?
15. Many of the movies from the 30’s showing Friday at the Egyptian Theatre have this same Canadian connection. What is it?
Worked on a Mary Pickford movie
Mack Sennett’s Keystone Kops
Tried out for Our Gang
Had a Louis B. Mayer Story
16. Actress Dawn O’Day changed her stage name to the name of a literary character she played in a movie. What is the name?
17. English born actor Robert Donat had several of his brothers emigrate to Canada. His nephew, actor Peter Donat, is from what province?
18. For which of her ex-husbands did Joan Crawford arrange to have his ashes scattered over Muskoka Lake in Canada, close to his beloved home?
Douglas Fairbanks Jr
- The Landlord
- Norma Shearer
- Nova Scotia
- Jack L. Warner
- Cecil B. DeMille
- All of the above
- Paul Shaffer
- Blue Rodeo
- Due South
- Monty Hall
- Mack Sennett’s Keystone Kops
- Anne Shirley
- Nova Scotia
- Franchot Tone